Tuesday, April 16, 2013

SAFE?

 
Is God a safe God? 
Do you try to make the life he has for you safe?
Can one honestly follow the Lord and still live a “safe” life…a life where you are free from having to overcome fears, free from uncomfortable situations,or free from following an uncertain calling.
These are questions I keep trying to push to the back of my heart and brain.  I want it to be possible to live comfortable with out the probing from the Lord to step out on the boat and walk on the water to him.  I know his arms are out stretched.  I have visions of him waiting to take my hand as my wet feet, but dry body approach him.
I really think we try to make God a safe God when in reality he isn’t in anyway shape or form safe.  This allows us to stay in control.  I see myself and others around me make excuses as to why we take the easy road. 
We need to look deep into the scriptures.  There we will find a God that is anything but a God who provides comfort to his people in this way.  Don’t get me wrong.  He longs to love, provide and care for, but he also desires to use us.   In doing so, he must push us to go places we would never go on our own.
Did he bringing forth comfort when he told Abraham he was to leave his home and follow him to an unknown location?  Yes, unknown!! 
Was he playing it safe when he told Moses to go back into the house of Pharaoh and demand that he let the Israelites go?  Safe…yeah, right!!!
Did the disciples’ surroundings look plush when they follow Christ during his years of ministry?  I don’t think so.  They didn’t have a place to lay their head.  They didn’t know where their next meal would come.  They didn’t get to take their family with them.  Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t advise someone to live such a life, but it is the very life the Lord called them to live.
See where I am going?  Life with God isn’t and dare I say shouldn’t be safe.  I am going to be so bold as to proclaim that if you are living in a comfortable spot than you are probably avoiding a calling.  You may be running from the plans he has for you. 
Search deep.  Pray hard.  Listen for him as he calls you to take a step out of the boat and walk on water. 
Miracles can't be performed unless common people wildly follow an unsafe God.
post signature

1 comment: